Thursday, May 3, 2007

When South Africans Visit


Capitola
Originally uploaded by alannaface.
This past weekend two South African boys (in picture L-R: Ian, me, Jason) came to visit my roommate and I at our humble apartment in San Jose. I met them on a trip to Tahoe at a bar-- who don't I meet at bars these days?-- and when I invited Ian to see the South Bay area, he was eager to see more of California before he went back to South Africa.

The boys spent time working at Granleybakkin, a ski resort-type place in Tahoe City-- when I say time I mean Ian spent two years and Jason has been there for three months. They knew each other from back in SA.

It was interesting not only to have two more people in our apartment, but to have two boys in our apartment with us. The apartment is not very big, so it was a presence that was definitely felt especially by two girls not used to having boys around that much.

We went to the beach, we went to downtown San Jose-- where I won't talk about the outcome, but I posted selected pictures on Flickr-- and we had a great time. Sunday morning Ian and I went for a bike ride through Japantown and through Downtown San Jose on one of the most perfect days in a long time.

For a two night stay I have earned myself an invintation from Ian to South Africa, and I'm seriously considering a trip there and through Europe. It would be possible if I keep the job I have right now as a writer which was my job offer. It's so strange beginning to shape my life without college. No classes to hold me back from exploring the world, how nice.


As for other events, this week is wine tasting in Sutter Creek, CA with one of my girlfriends, my parents and several other couples. We will be taking all six rooms of a bed & breakfast for two evenings. The weather is supposed to be nice. However, there is a reality check: I have two seperate psychology midterms on Tuesday.

Sometimes I think I'm too bright eyed to be a students-- by sometimes I mean always.

It's time to start making flash cards, because I fully intend to bother everyone with quizzing me all weekend between glasses of wine and shooting pictures of everything I can.

No comments: