This is why I'm going to miss being a writer of music, entertainment and bars in San Jose, California. Everyone knows you or wants to know you because San Jose is a small enough "big city" that it's not hard to get into the "in crowd." Walking into a bar and letting some key people know you write for such-and-such a publication instantly raises eyebrows and gets twice as much attention.
Who ever though I'd get to a point in my life--all be it by 21, and before that even-- where I'd be able to throw my name and title around. I know I've made it somewhere when people who sort of know me also try using my name. The caveat is that I try to use "my name" as little as possible, because how vain must one be to ever demand, "Do you know who I am?" If you have to ask, the answer is, 'no.'
On Friday afternoon I met up with one of my interns (I kind of supervise them unofficially) and his friends. We all went to SCU together so we're somewhat familiar. We ended up hitting eight different bars/nightclubs but two were just opening so it was an official six bar happy hour bar hop. Each place I dropped the association with Metro Newspapers and thereby introduced the intern to the power we hold in San Jose.
On our journey we found my new favorite bar, The Flying Martini Brothers. They blew flame from a legal-in-the-US absinthe and then the guys I was with took a shot of it. Plus the bar had awesome music, and really, that can make or break a bar.
On another important note I defined a new modern feminism. New Face Feminism: Sexy Badasses Female prowess is power in music, entertainment, pop culture and online creative writing community thisisby.us. I'm pretty proud of it even though it's admittedly somewhat incomplete. Yes, I created that name from my original though about it "the new face of feminism" and of course my own nickname, Alannaface. What? It's a creative writing community which means I write whatever I want (much like this blog) and post it for people to read.
New Face Feminism in a nutshell is self-confident, attractive women who are rocking being female and powerful without the need for men really at all. Of course we New Face Feminists have men in our lives, but we recognize that the sexes are different and use those differences to our advantage. Some New Face Feminists besides those I single out on the creative writing community are Angelina Jolie, Jenna Jameson, Amy Winehouse, Joss Stone, Cameron Diaz and Lily Allen. Of course I, Alannaface, also consider myself a New Face Feminist. These women shower, don't have butch haircuts, know how to dress and are feminine without the stereotypical hippie feminist-look.
Check it out, let me know what you think by sending me an email, commenting here or in another form of communication.
No comments:
Post a Comment